Monday, January 21, 2008

Vanilla-Scented Granola

Caleb's mom gave me a bunch of her favorite recipes at my request. She's an amazing cook! Every recipe I've tried so far is great. This is one that I've really been enjoying with my Breakfast Delight. Or just as a warm snack fresh out of the over, like I am right now. :)

4 cups old fashioned oats
1 cup sliced almonds
½ cup packed brown sugar (I used 1/3 c)
¼ tsp salt
1/8 tsp ground cinnamon

1/3 cup vegetable oil
¼ cup honey
2 T. sugar (I used one)
4 tsp. vanilla extract

Position rack in middle of oven and preheat to 300 degrees F. Lightly spray large baking sheet with nonstick spray. Mix first five ingredients in large bowl (I sometimes throw in some coconut). Combine oil, honey and sugar in small saucepan; bring to simmer over medium heat. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Pour hot liquid over oat mixture; stir well. Using hands, toss mixture until thoroughly mixed.

Spread granola on prepared baking sheet. Bake until golden brown, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes. Transfer sheet to rack; cool granola completely. Store in airtight container at room temperature.

Makes about 8 cups.

1 comment:

lindsay said...

so glad you shared this, Daph...i've made this so often over the last 4 years! love the smell...and this time i used walnut & pecan pieces instead of almonds, and coconut oil instead of veg. great with homemade yogurt! this recipe from patti is a gem. :)