Tuesday, April 1, 2008

I love lemons

I could almost eat this entire recipe myself-- just with a spoon. However, we also like to eat it with scones. Or, I've also put this into a tart crust and topped it with whipped cream.

Lemon Curd

1 c. + 2 T sugar
1 T cornstarch
1/8 t. salt
1 c. fresh lemon juice (about 5 med. lemons)
3 large eggs, beaten a bit
2 T. butter
1 t. grated lemon rind

Combine first 3 ingredients in a saucepan, stirring with a whisk. Stir in juice and eggs; bring to boil, stirring a lot and simmer 1 additional minute after boil starts. Remove from heat. Add butter and lemon rind. Stir until butter melts.

Spoon into bowl and chill several hours until cool. Or, eat a bunch of it right out of the saucepan before it makes it to the fridge like I do.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

ooh! i love this stuff! thanks for the recipe, now i don't have to buy the canned stuff! i bet it would be good in a tart with a bunch of fresh berries. mmm. you've got me in the mood for a tart now. haha. maybe i'll make one for the next whocares breakfast!

caron said...

lemon curd. oh, sorry i railed against curd when you were visiting. you should have stopped me.

Linus said...

Caron-- I totally don't remember you railing against curd. :) That's funny.--cheryl

Daphne said...

i love curd!! always wanted to try it. thanks cheryl!

corrie said...

curd is such a horrible word. too close to turd. it ruins it for me. lets call it something else, like lemon delight. or lemon yum yum.

Unknown said...

speaking of, i picked up some lime curd at the store....delish!!!

Jaybird said...

remember curd...leave the milk out on the counter for days...you get curd.

guess we know who wasn't listening to something not worth being listened to!! ;)

-caron

Linus said...

Ah, Caron. Now I remember. But this curd is of a very different sort than the milk-on-the-counter version, silly. --cheryl

Unknown said...

i saw cheese curds at the store yesterday. yuck.