Friday, September 26, 2008

AMBF's Taco Night

One time last year AMBF invited us over for a spontaneous taco night. It was soooooo good. She was gracious to share her non-recipe recipe with me and I happened to run across it again today. Thought I'd post it.

For the Rice:
I used 3/4 cup basmati. I rinsed the rice a few times and then let it sit in water for about 20 minutes. In a pan I put in a 3/4 cup of water (equal to the rice), one can of diced tomatoes (drained), diced green onions, chopped jalapenos, some cumin and cinnamon. I brought all of that to a boil, added the rice, covered and set to simmer for about 15 minutes.

For the meat:
I always use ground turkey. I think that package was 1lb. I started with a tablespoon of olive oil in a saute pan and sauted 1 chopped onion on low/medium heat for 5-10 minutes. Then I added chopped garlic for 1-2 minutes. Add the turkey, 1/2 Tb. of flour, and let meat brown. Add chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper and paprika to taste. Then I always add a can of salsa (or that night I added 1/2 jar of salsa and 1/2 can of rotella). Let the meat simmer until the sauce becomes thick. I like to top with off with some fresh cilantro.

Beans:
I just used one can of drained black beans and this little, yellow can of "mexican" salsa I bought in the Latino aisle at No Frills ... it was super spicy and delicious. I just let the beans simmer in the salsa until warm.

No comments: