Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Notes on Canning - Where to find all the products

For those planning to do some canning: Notes on where to find all your supplies

After searching through many stores to find the right-sized jars (small, cute 8-oz for jams and fruit, quart-sized for tomatoes and tomato sauce, 1/2 pint for relishes and chutneys, pint-sized for veggies, and so on), the necessary pectin, and canning tools, here is what I've found:

5 Canning Tools Supply Kit - many stores sell a box of necessary equipment which includes a funnel, tongs, jar lifter, magnetic lid lifter and jar holder. These usually run around $10.00 at World Market or Whole Foods.

Jars - Ace Hardware on Saddle Creek (of all places) has the best selection of jars and always seems to have the small, fruit jars that I like. I think No Frills on Saddle Creek does as well although I haven't been there in awhile. Hy-Vee tends to carry larger jars such as quart and pint-size.

Lids - If you a re-using jars, it is a good idea to replace the lids. Most grocery stores and Ace Hardware seem to carry replacement lids and screw bands if you need them.

Pectin - Thus far I've only used recipes that called for liquid pectin. The only reason is that is what I can find at Hy-Vee (located right next to the canning jars). I'm sure the powder pectin works perfectly well, I just haven't found it yet.

Stock pots with a Canning Rack - Thank you Lindsey for your note! Lindsay found a large stock pot with a rack at World Market for $25.00 - not too bad!

No comments: