Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Beans

This is sort of a silly thing, but this week I learned to cook my own beans. Easy-peasy.

I've always purchased canned beans out of convenience-- however, now that we (and the rest of country) are on a slightly restricted grocery budget I decided to pick up a bag of dried this time and give it a whirl.

Pinto Beans

1/2 bag (8 oz), rinsed
enuf water to cover
a few garlic cloves peeled and whacked with a blunt object
salt/pepper
bay leaf
optional: 1 T. cumin, pinch of thyme

Put all up to boil (except salt), turn heat down and simmer for a few hours-- adding salt towards the end. Replenish water if needed. Voila!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

i too am on the dry-bean bandwagon! i have this wonderful hungarian soup i make out of pinto beans. and i ALWAYS happen to have all the ingredients in the pantry, it's that simple. i should post the recipe. thanks for giving me a side dish idea for my beans!

Darci said...

Pinto beans are great. I soak overnight and then add the beans to a pot of already sauteed onions. Simmer for several hours and then mash/cool and put in the food processor.

Voila! A lifetime supply of refried beans.

caron said...

i like the "enuf"