Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread (makes 2)

That is actually simple to make, faster than most bread recipes, is super light and fluffy, rises well and tastes yummy. (Believe me, this recipe was HARD to find. We've made our share of rock-hard, super dense loaves) This recipe is courtesy of my friend, Keri Misawa.

3 c. whole wheat flour
1 T. instant yeast (also called BreadMachine yeast or RapidRise)
2 c. hot water
(Keri said it was important it was 110 degrees, so I use a thermometer)

Mis together in a Kitchenaid with a dough hook. Mix until completely moist.

Add:
1/3 c. oil (I used canola, Keri uses light olive)
1/3 c. honey (I've also used a mixture of part maple syrup and corn syrup)
1 1/2 t. salt



Mix, then add white flour slowly until dough pulls away from the bowl sides of the Kitchenaid (about 2 to 3 cup white flour) Put on second speed for about 2 more minutes. It should be "satiny" and you can stretch it easily. Form into 2 loaves, and press down into two loaf pans (I use the smaller). You only need one rise!! Let rise for about an hour. Bake 20-30 minutes at 350.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

THIS is the kind of bread i can make! i gotta try this.

Darby said...

GENIUS. i gave up on finding a good recipe for whole wheat, after many loaves that reminded me of pigskins.

Cheryl said...

Just and FYI-- i just made this into 1 bread loaf and 8 hotdog buns and it worked beautifully.

Amy said...

I am definitely going to have to try this recipe- thanks!

Unknown said...

oh my gosh, gals, we're famous! amy from The Mother Load blog (momadvice.com) just commented! :)

Daphne said...

did anyone try this bread? cheryl is a baking/bread genius so i dont trust her "this is easy" quote.

good news is i am picking up a bread maker tomorrow (thanks freecycle!). baby steps to baking.

Cheryl said...

Ha! I have Daphne fooled-- I'm certainly NOT a bread genius.