Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Nigella Lawson's Breakfast Bars

I just got _Nigella Express: Good Food, Fast_ and tried these this morning. Nigella warns that she is "addicted to these" as is everyone she gives them to. Having tried one--just one!--I can see why. They're super easy, pretty low-cost, and really tasty. I can imagine that you could have fun experimenting with various mix-ins too. Here's the way they go:

1 - 14-fl. oz. can condensed milk
2 1/2 c. rolled oats (not instant)
1 c. shredded coconut
1 c. dried cranberries
1 c. mixed seeds (pumpkin, sunflower, sesame--I just used sunflower)
1 c. natural unsalted peanuts

1. Preheat oven to 250 F and oil a 9 x 13 baking pan.
2. Warm the condensed milk in a large pan.
3. Meanwhile, mix all the other ingredients together and add the warmed condensed milk, using a rubber spatula to fold and distribute.
4. Spread the mixture into the oiled pan and press down with a spatula or, better still, your hands to make the surface even. (My Note: this stuff is real sticky, so maybe butter your hands?)
5. Bake for 1 hour, remove, and after about 15 minutes, cut into four across and four down to make 16 chunky bars. Let cool completely.

She says they just get better with time and can be stored in a tin. These just might be my new tasty treat in the mornings. My initial test run indicates that they are pretty filling, too!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

YUM!!! this looks like a new fast breakfast for michael & me.

caron said...

oooh yum. were these the bars in your fridge that i saw and wanted to eat?